What is the Definition of Affiliate Marketing?
The internet is a wonderful place with many ways to make money with affiliate marketing being one of the best ways to do this. Affiliate marketing is one of the most prevalent ways to make money online from home. What is the definition of affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a process where you make commissions by promoting a product or service, usually through an affiliate link, and if someone purchases that specific service or product you receive money for it.
Seems pretty simple, doesn’t it? Well, it is, however, I do want to walk you through it in a little more detail so here goes.
Affiliate Marketing Process
- Have a platform where you can express ideas and communicate with the public such as a blog, website, or domain. If you don’t currently have one click here to start a free website in under 5 minutes.
- Apply for membership with affiliate programs or products that you want to promote or recommend. When you apply for the product, service, or program you will complete the publisher/partner application. That is what the affiliate marketing programs refer to affiliate marketers as. You can click here for the best affiliate marketing programs for beginners.
- On your website, you will write articles and blog posts about specific topics. This is where you will promote your products and services to your website visitors. The affiliate program provides you will a special link which is referred to as your affiliate link and includes your affiliate ID within the link.
- If your visitors click on this link and end up purchasing the product or service that you are promoting or recommending through this affiliate link you earn a commission.
- Most affiliate programs have a specified amount that you must earn prior to receiving a payout of your earned commissions.
Pretty easy right? I know it seems easy, however, there are some very important things that you want to keep in mind.
Affiliate Marketer Requirements
First and foremost, you must let your audience know that you are using affiliate links by providing an affiliate disclosure on your website. This is the law and required by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). For detailed information about FTC affiliate disclosure requirements click here.
You want to be sure to promote products that are within your niche and relevant to your topics of discussion. More importantly, you want to be sure that what you are recommending to your audience is beneficial to them. After all, helping your audience solve a problem is the reason why we are doing this. If you are not in this business to help your visitors than you are in the wrong business.
Each affiliate program has terms of service that need to be followed. Be sure to read these to make sure you are following their rules.
Experiment with different text links, images, page placement, and types of content. There are distinct combinations of the above that may convert better than others. Don’t be afraid to switch it up and try new things.
In conclusion, the definition of affiliate marketing stays the same no matter what so there should be no confusion as to the purpose and process. If the products and services that you are promoting are resolving the issues of your followers, you are doing your job.
If you have anything that you would like to add, or any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.